Compiled & contributed by: Jen
Parker , JUN 1999
1. James ,Sr. Colvin was born in 1755. He died in 1815.
James ,Sr. Colvin and Margaret ?? had the following children:
2 i. James ,Jr. Colvin.
3 ii. Robert Colvin.
4 iii. Mary Colvin.
+5 iv. Henry Colvin.
5. Henry Colvin was born in 1799 in NC (probably Cumberland County). He died in 1870 in Alabama (probably Pike County). He was a in 1870 in Teacher in Pike County School. It is reported that Henry was still teaching at a Pike County School in Alabama till the time of his death in 1870.
He was married to Catherine McFarland (daughter of James McFarland and Flora ??) on 19 Jan 1826 in Conecuh County, Alabama. According to the 1850 Covington Co. AL Census, Henry & Catherine were both born in NC, probably Cumberland. ALL their children were reported to be born in Alabama. Also note that Henry COLVIN and family were listed as CALVIN in this Census, which was a common mis-spelling of the Colvin surname. Catherine McFarland was born on 1 Sep 1806 in Richmond County, NC. She died in 1870. Henry Colvin and Catherine McFarland had the following children:
6 i. Margaret Colvin was born in 1828.
7 ii. Flora Ann Colvin was born in 1829.
8 iii. Mary Colvin was born in 1831.
9 iv. Christian Colvin was born in 1833.
+10 v. James Henry Colvin.
11 vi. Elizabeth Colvin was born in 1839.
+12 vii. Frances Colvin.
+13 viii. Dianna Colvin.
14 ix. Elvina Colvin was born in 1845.
+15 x. William Samuel Colvin.
16 xi. Lucinda Colvin was born in 1854.
17 xii. Cornelius Colvin was born in 1856.
18 xiii. William Colvin was born in 1856.
19 xiv. Catherine Colvin.
10. James Henry Colvin was born in 1834 in Alabama. He appeared on the census in 1860 in Covington County, AL. He appeared on the census in 1870 in Covington County, AL Census listed conflicting birth dates within a year or two for most of James' c. Names of the children of James Henry Colvin & Elizabeth Tubberville Colvin, were taken from a COLVIN Family Bible owned by Lois & Hayward Colvin in a handwritten letter by Lois Colvin.
Elizabeth Turbeville (daughter of Jesse Turbeville and Celia Dannelly) was born in 1838. She appeared on the census in 1860 in Covington County, AL. James Henry Colvin and Elizabeth Turbeville had the following children:
20 i. J. T. Colvin.
+21 ii. Molly Colvin.
+22 iii. Bama Colvin.
+23 iv. Irvin Ciscero Colvin.
24 v. John Tillman Colvin was born on 26 Aug 1859.
25 vi. Sarah Carline Colvin was born on 17 Feb 1862.
26 vii. L.(Lugrath?) V. (Virginia?) Colvin was born on 18 Dec 1865.
+27 viii. F. C. (Catherine?) Colvin.
+28 ix. Augustus Barfield ,M.D. Colvin.
29 x. J. H. (Jim?) Colvin was born on 28 Oct 1870.
+30 xi. W. J. (Jess?) Colvin.
+31 xii. Mary Elizabeth Colvin.
12. Frances Colvin was born in 1841.
13. Dianna Colvin was born in 1843.
15. William Samuel Colvin was born on 17 Mar 1849. He died on 19 Oct 1907 in Covington County, AL. He was buried in Rose Hill Cemetery.
Georgia Ann Stewart (daughter of Rev.John L. Stewart) was born on 11 Dec 1851. She died on 22 Mar 1890 in Crenshaw County, AL. She was buried in Rose Hill Cemetery. William Samuel Colvin and Georgia Ann Stewart had the following children:
32 i. John L. Colvin was born in 1873. He died in 1930.
33 ii. James Henry Colvin was born in 1877. He died in 1928.
34 iii. Catherine E. Colvin was born in 1878.
+35 iv. Sophie A. Colvin.
36 v. Minnie Lee Colvin was born on 15 Apr 1883. She died on 18 Jan 1896 in Covington County, AL. She was buried in Rose Hill Cemetery.
+37 vi. Tillman Stewart Colvin.
+38 vii. David Lehmon Colvin.
+39 viii. Annie Colvin.
He was married to Sarah F. Johnson in Aug 1890.
21. Molly Colvin.
She was married to W.A. Brown on 5 Dec 1897.
22. Bama Colvin.
She was married to J.A. Orvin on 27 Sep 1896 in Covington County, AL.
23. Irvin Ciscero Colvin was born on 1 Sep 1855. He died on 22 Sep 1949 in Cov. Co., Alabama. He was buried in Pidgeon Creek Cemetery, Covington Co. AL. Irvin was known to be a 'cantankerous old cuss' by many. One of his grand-daughters, Corrine Worley, daughter of his son, Jesse James Colvin; related a story about her Grandfather Irvin as follows:
Grandpa Irvin was known to have built his own wooden coffin, and kept it in his attic. He filled the coffin with old arrow heads, which he collected and kept over the years. He also kept what he called his 'indian money' in the coffin. This was money he collected from the government because of his Cherokee Indian heritage. When Grandpa Irvin wasn't around, Corrine and her brothers would sneak up to the attic and play in the coffin. Grandpa never caught them. However, there was one time they 'got caught'...... dipping in Grandpa's wine vat!
Grandpa Irvin kept a big 'keg' of his 'homemade wine' in the barn. Corrine's brothers would 'take a nip' every chance they got. Once, Corrine decided she would have a taste. Corrine was so little she had trouble climbing on top of the keg. About the time she DID, her brothers saw Grandpa coming and they all ran out of the barn, leaving poor little Corrine to face Grandpa....alone! Corrine never forgot that day....Grandpa's figure standing in the barn door....glaring at her! Corrine was petrified! He never cracked a smile, and gruffly threathened to tell her parents. (He never told on her) As Corrine looks back on that day, she can see the look on Grandpa's face, and realizes it was all he could do not to burst out laughing!
Ella Virginia Jeter (daughter of Rev.Franklin Jeter and Martha E. Lassiter) was born on 18 Sep 1860. She died on 9 Feb 1899 in Cov. Co.Alabama. She was buried in Pidgeon Creek Cemetery, Covington Co. AL. Ella died bearing triplets, of which none survived. All 3 babies were buried with their Mother insame casket. ***This information was supplied by Corrine Colvin Worley, daughter of Jesse James Colvin.
Corrine reports that Ella was a beautiful woman, and there was a portrait of her at one time, but it is not known what family member has possession of it. Irvin Ciscero Colvin and Ella Virginia Jeter had the following children:
+40 i. Fletcher Theodore Colvin.
+41 ii. Charles Henry Colvin.
+42 iii. Jesse James Colvin.
43 iv. 'Twin to Hosea' Colvin was born on 19 Jun 1893. He died on 19 Jun 1893.
+44 v. William Hosea Colvin.
+45 vi. Liddia (Liddy) Colvin.
46 vii. 'Triplet#1' Colvin was born on 9 Feb 1899. He (or she) died on 9 Feb 1899.
47 viii. 'Triplet#2' Colvin was born on 9 Feb 1899. He (or she) died on 9 Feb 1899.
48 ix. 'Triplet#3' Colvin was born on 9 Feb 1899. He (or she) died on 9 Feb 1899.
Frances Elizabeth Spears was born on 9 Jan 1884. She died on 29 Dec 1963 in Pidgeon Creek Cemetery, Cov. Co., Alabama. Irvin Ciscero Colvin and Frances Elizabeth Spears had the following children:
+49 i. Euratius Colvin.
+50 ii. James Hayward Colvin.
+51 iii. Mary Elizabeth Colvin.
+52 iv. Leavie G. Colvin.
+53 v. Cannie Paul Colvin.
+54 vi. Everett J. Colvin.
+55 vii. Olen Colvin.
27. F. C. (Catherine?) Colvin was born on 31 Dec 1866.
28. Augustus Barfield ,M.D. Colvin was born on 31 Jan 1869. He died on 26 Aug 1925 in Covington County, AL. He was buried in Conecuh River Church Cemetery.
Mattie T. McGhee was born on 31 Aug 1884. She died on 19 Jun 1966 in Covington County, AL. She was buried in Conecuh River Church Cemetery.
30. W. J. (Jess?) Colvin was born on 21 Jun 1871.
He was married to M. C. Clayton on 6 Dec 1896 in Covington County, AL.
31. Mary Elizabeth Colvin was born on 7 Mar 1873.
She was married to J. R. Lowery on 3 Aug 1887 in Escambia County.
35. Sophie A. Colvin was born in 1881.
37. Tillman Stewart Colvin was born on 11 Jan 1886. He died on 12 May 1954 in Covington County, Alabama. He was buried in Pleasant Home Church Cemetery.
Lula H. Harrelson was born on 16 Jan 1893. She died on 19 Apr 1983 in Covington County, Alabama. She was buried in Pleasant Home Church Cemetery.
38. David Lehmon Colvin was born in 1875. He died in 1958. David Lehmon Colvin moved to Walton County, Florida in the late 1890s.
Marietta Philoca McCollough was born in 1880. She died in 1957. David Lehmon Colvin and Marietta Philoca McCollough had the following children:
+56 i. Mona Verle Colvin.
+57 ii. Cecil Clyde Colvin.
+58 iii. Bonnie Mae Colvin.
+59 iv. Ruby Faye Colvin.
+60 v. Allen Samuel Colvin.
+61 vi. Orin Claude Colvin.
62 vii. Alma Ruth Colvin was born in 1913. She died in 1915.
63 viii. Roy H. Colvin was born in 1923. He died in 1961.
39. Annie Colvin.
© "Tracking Your Roots"
All material contained on these pages is furnished for the free use of those researching
their family origins. Any commercial use, without the consent of the host/author of
these pages is prohibited--Copyright is retained by the author/contributor of the material and publication to any medium, electronic or non-electronic, without consent
is in violation of the law. All persons contributing material for posting on
these pages do so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, and are responsible for assuring that no copyright is violated by submission.